Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11 - Just Another Day?



Today is Sunday, September 11, 2011.  Knowing it was futile to attempt to remain in the bed and go back to sleep, I was up around my usual time of 4:15 a.m.  As I made my way to the kitchen to get a drink of water and put on a pot of coffee to brew, I was keenly aware of the silence all around me.  The only sound I detected was the rhythmic tick-tick-tick of the clock on the wall above the counter.  The floor felt cool against my bare feet.  Standing there in my summer pajamas, I began to get goose bumps on my arms and I realized that it was beginning to feel like autumn and that the air conditioner hadn't come on even once all during the night.  Time to get out the long-sleeved tops, sweatshirts and dreaded winter coat.


I put on my robe, and when the coffee was ready I poured myself a cup, placed it on the small table beside the recliner-rocker, took a seat, and picked up my laptop.  This was my usual routine.  Few people understand, but the very early hours of the morning are "my time", when I am most alert, and I utilize this time to check email messages, read important articles, take exams, pay bills, do a little writing...anything that requires a little sense and clear thinking.  This morning was no different...or was it?


I looked at the date again...September 11, 2011.  Could it be?  Could it be possible that it has been ten years?  It doesn't seem so, but it has been ten years since that horrific day that all of America, and the free world, was shaken and shocked by what took place.  I had been sitting at the counter in my kitchen making out a grocery list, with the television tuned into the morning news, only half listening to it, when the unbelievable break in the newscast caught my attention.  I sat frozen, stunned, paralyzed, and watched the tragic events take place once at a time.  I did the only thing I could, and the same thing I'm sure millions of Americans did in those moments...I prayed and cried out to God and started trying contact my family.


I cannot even begin to imagine what the victims of September 11, 2001, experienced, nor do I want to.  But the families of those victims, along with those who were there and somehow survived, have thought about,  and have continued to have nightmares about it...for the past ten years.  I am thinking of all those who started that day out with their seemingly usual routines, never realizing that their lives on this earth would end.  I am thinking about the families and friends who continue to grieve and mourn the loss of their loved ones.  I am thinking about all the brave men and women who risked their own lives to try to help others on that day.  I am thinking about all the men and women who serve in the military of our country and the sacrifices they have made and continue to make to try to make sure that such a tragedy never happens again.


To honor, remember, respect, and pay tribute, I dedicate my time this morning to all the victims of September 11, 2001, and on this day, the anniversary of one of the most tragic days in the history of America, I give thanks to each and every person who has served or is currently serving in each branch of the military of our country. Without your sacrifice, we would not have the freedoms we enjoy and perhaps we would not even exist...I THANK YOU ♥





( © Post and photos by C.J. - please do not copy)