Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Upper Room

(Upper Room of Wilcox Chapel, A-B College)


It's just a small room in the top of the chapel
but there is something so special about it
No words can describe what happens 
when I enter and sit facing its beautiful window

The light from outside comes streaming through
casting multicolored hues across everything in the room
It is peacefully quiet
 a refuge from the noise and activity of the day

As I sit and breathe deeply in and out
I feel my body slowly relax
and a sense of calm comes over me
I barely notice the voices and music outside the room

I sense that even though I'm the only person here
still, I am not alone
There is a sweet presence that surrounds me
and it knows my every thought and my heart

Then, as if being whispered  to me
the Word of God comes pouring into my mind
"Be still and know that I am God"
"Behold I am with you always"

It is then that I realize
that today is "Pentecost" Sunday
the day that Christians remember the last great miracle
the blessed gift of the ever-present indwelling Holy Spirit 

That powerful Holy Spirit sent by God
that came rushing into that upper room
and first fell upon the people on that day
fills my heart and stirs my soul at this moment

A companion like no other, ever-present
He fills me with a joy that cannot be explained
He takes away doubts and calms my fears
He gives reassurance and peace beyond human understanding

After a time of reflection, praying and rejoicing
I take a deep cleansing breath 
and I thank God for reminding me
of the significance of this beautiful "upper room"



( © Post and photo by C.J. Taylor - please do not copy)